Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Example #487 of how children keep you humble

sonic

I’m a sucker for old video games.
We’ve got an actual Genesis, which has migrated out to the garage now, but the kids are always wanting me to bring it back in the house and hook it up.
I’ve been anxiously awaiting the release of Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection for Xbox 360. It came out yesterday, but when I went into GameStop after work they didn’t have it and said they’d be getting it today. They also asked if I’d like to pre-order it so I’d be sure to get a copy…to which I said “Ummm, I’m sure you will have a copy for me.”
So when I came home I mentioned it to my youngest daughter. I said, “It has all the best Genesis games on it.”
Daughter#3: “Does it have Marble Madness?”
Me: “No, but…”
Daughter#3: “Does it have Lion King?”
Me: “No, but…”
Daughter#3: “Does it have Aladdin?”
Me: “Well, no but…”
Daughter#3: “Jungle Strike?”
Me: “That’s not a Sega game.”
Daughter#3: “Well those are the best games. What does this have on it anyway?”

Ahhh yes, fatherhood.

I had a few minutes free before I was going to have lunch today so I popped in and got mine. Luckily, I managed to fight my way through the crowd of people who slept overnight in front of the store to get theirs. (not)

Full disclosure: some of what you are about to read may make it impossible for me to ever claim I had a “hard day” at work.

I ripped off the plastic at a stop light on the way back to my office. I popped my leftover spaghetti in the microwave and then took it into the game room at work.
You know, the game room. The room with all the flat screen TVs, two 360s, a PS3 and a Wii. You mean you don’t have one of those at your office? Bummer for you. How can you work under those conditions? 
I popped it in and did my best to look at a few of the games with one hand while shoveling pasta into my slobbering maw with my flimsy, bendy compostable fork in the other. (This doesn’t work very well actually.)
I finished my food and squeezed in a few minutes of “Streets of Rage” before heading off to my 1pm meeting.

I actually cut out of work a little early to come home and get in some playtime, but then I remembered I was in the middle of a long running battle in Advance Wars on my DS, so I thought I’d finish that first.

Before I knew it, it was time to head off to the Daddy-Daughter Dance with Daughters 2 & 3. We had a great time, although it is hard for one daddy to keep two delightful dance partners happy.

Then I came home and had to endure American Idol monopolizing the screen time. Now it is 10:30pm. I have to get up early tomorrow. The responsible thing to do would be to head off to bed.
Just a few minutes of Ecco the Dolphin first.


Enough fun and games.
Wondering about the notion of economic stimulus? Check out Stimulus: A history of Folly in Commentary Magazine.

3 comments:

  1. Motocross Madness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motocross_Madness) is on the PC with the Sidewinder Freestyle motion sensitive controller (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Freestyle-Game-A17-00001/dp/B00004Z729)- take that Wii!
    I think you are thinking of the Sega 32x game Motocross Championship (http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-32x/motocross-championship).
    No. But I wish they'd make a compilation of the 32x and Sega CD games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's right. Those games were so cool. I was bummed when we broke our little attachment.

    ReplyDelete