Sunday, August 9, 2009

Freezing My Own Green Beans (and other firsts)

No, that’s not a naughty euphemism.

We have a little garden going this year. Basically just:

  • Green beans
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes
  • Carrots
  • Zucchini
  • Pumpkins

I’m not the world’s greatest gardener but I’m determined to have something to show for this year’s effort.

Our tomatoes are coming on strong, but haven’t ripened yet.
We’ve already harvested two crops of spinach and are ready to plant another row.
Our carrots are progressing – slowly.
Our pumpkins look promising. I suspect they’ll be supplying Jack-O-Lanterns for us and some of our friends as well.
Our zucchini has, of course, done well. I think I read somewhere that after a nuclear war, all that will be left is cockroaches and zucchini. It is about all I can do to harvest them when they are young and tasty before the become useless engorged beasts.

beansblanch And our green beans have been great. We’ve eaten some and had some in the fridge, but we can’t keep up, so I found a page on the magic interwebs about freezing them. Some boiling water. Some ice water. Some freezer bags. Bada bing! I did it.

I’m now officially pioneer stock. Next I’ll probably be tanning hides and making soap.

Another first…selling a car on Craig’s List
I may be the last person on earth to have sold a car on Craig’s List. What’s more, it was a broken (repairable but not by me) Nissan Sentra.

Two firsts in one day. Pretty nifty stuff.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to add "gathering chips for food" to your pioneer to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ......And what he doesn't say is that I eat most that stuff. I love spinach, especially fresh, and he won't have anything to do with tomatoes, which I adore. So he does most the work and I eat yummy fresh veggies.
    I can't wait for those tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete