Saturday, October 3, 2009

One of my brothers passed away

Bill_Dec262001

Very unexpectedly got word tonight that one of my older brothers passed away tonight. He collapsed from a massive heart attack at home and never regained consciousness despite the efforts of the paramedics.

He was a good man and leaves behind a wife and four children. Since they live in the Portland, OR area, we’ve always spent more time with them than my other brother, who lives in California. Whenever we’ve lived in Washington, we’ve always gone down to their house the day after Christmas to celebrate Christmas and his wife’s birthday.

I count myself lucky enough to have just spoken to him on the phone tonight for about 45 minutes. We were planning to have them up for Thanksgiving and he was just going to send an email to his boss to make sure he got it off. (He was a maintenance guy for luggage scanners at the Portland airport.)

He was always interested in talking about the Gospel and was a Sunday School teacher in his ward. He has touched the lives of many and will be sorely missed. Just tonight we were talking about some gospel matters related to the Fall and Redemption. Even now he probably has learned (or remembered) the answers to many of the questions we were talking about.

Some things you might not know about Bill:

  • He could cook amazingly good Japanese food. Usually while spouting wise or clever Japanese idioms – in Japanese.
  • He was in a Beach Boys cover band when he was in high school and used to play a killer saxophone.
  • He made a pet out of a very mean feral house cat – named “Cat” of course.
  • When I was little, like 12-ish, he took me to the movies a lot. Seems like every time a war movie comes on TV, I say, “Hey, Bill took me to see this when I was little.” A Bridge Too Far, The Eagle Has Landed, and more. He also took me to that awful first Star Trek movie.
  • He liked to play Risk.
  • He had our dad’s gift of being agreeable with just about everyone – even people he knew were complete idiots. :-)
  • He was known to sometimes <ahem> “go commando” in his younger years.
  • Right before he left on his mission he bought a red Trans-Am.
  • He used to be a welder, a sod carrier, a builder of mobile homes, an auto mechanic, a soldier, a silicon fab worker, and an electronics technician. Some of those jobs he liked, some he hated, but he always knew how to provide for himself and his family.
  • He was the keeper of the family history – both the genealogy and the stories.
  • Every time the family was together he’d find a way to work in the story of how my mom was driving him around on a paper route when he was a kid and (allegedly) laughed when a dog chased him. (Note that my mom does NOT deny this.<g>)
  • When he was going to be married, he drove me from Utah, where we lived, to California where his wife-to-be lived so I could stay at my other brother’s house until our parents came for the wedding. When we stopped at a gas station in Sacramento after driving all night, he got out his toothbrushing stuff. I wanted to get mine and he said, “Hey, you aren’t going to be kissing anybody, just wait in the car.”

Thanks, Bill. You were are always a good brother. See ya later.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. What a shock. I pray for all his family that they will feel peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you sweetie. And I miss your brother already. It is such a shock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon
    Gary and I send our most sincere sympathy. We were just talking about an hour ago about his brother who passed away (about 6 years ago) and how we still connect familiar situations, people, places and things to him. They are never forgotten and always there for us even if they are not in the same "realm".
    Sincerely,
    Gary and Vicki Dickson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random, I know, but I knew your brother in Oregon and he always had a great smile and energy for everyone. Our love and condolenscences.

    The Reeves Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon,
    We are so sorry for your lost. Please send or sympathies on to your mom, his wife and kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are sorry to hear of your loss. We're here for you! Love, Jeff and Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your brother. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our sympathies at this difficult time. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

    Karl and Sherry Hilsmann

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry Jon, he sounds like a wonderful brother, husband, father, and man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. at a great tribute, I love your thought on his traits and your memories together. There is an excellent childrens book called "Badger's Parting Gifts" about all the gifts a badger, who was very well loved, leaves behind when he dies- mostly knowledge and memories. I am reminded by your post of this sweet story.

    I am sorry for this loss, and we will be praying for your family and his wife and children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for your family's loss. What a comfort to know he was on the right track and moving forward in his life.
    God Bless!

    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was one of his MTC students. I loved him because he wasn't afraid to be real. Maybe a little TOO real from time to time. He kept us entertained and inspired. He was legendary in the mission field when I got to Japan. Everyone loved him. I have thought about him a lot over the years and have wondered where he was and how I might thank him. Please tell his kids how much he helped me. His ability to put things in perspective made my mission.
    Tim Wilson, Tucson AZ timthetoothman@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jon,

    He was undeniably one of the good ones. It is an honor to know him. I loved your above blog entry.

    I am so sorry for your loss. He and Bonnie always speak highly of you.

    Ben Franklin (Bonnie's brother)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came over from Lynae's blog (junkin' monday). My first husband died suddenly in our basement on the treadmill while exercising at age 38. We had four children, 10yr down to 5 months. I will pray for his wife and children. Please tell her that a woman in Nebraska who knows her pain is praying for her. The gift you had of talking to him right before was most assuredly a gift from above.

    ReplyDelete