Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Death of Blogging

There have been a lot of stories over the last couple years heralding the “death of blogging”. Then stories about how the death of blogging has been exaggerated.

sadpandaI have noticed, sadly, that many of my favorite blogs – some from friends and family – where I always looked forward to each post because I knew it would be informative, witty, opinionated, or informative – or sometimes all of them at once – seem to have fallen to the gravely shoulder of the information highway and don’t see new posts at all, or very infrequently.

What’s replaced them? No mystery. Facebook and Twitter. Blogging takes thought and thought takes time. Social media, for all its limitations, allow people to express themselves – at least in little nuggets – without the trouble of a longer post.

Brief as its mainstream life was, I mourn the passing of blogging (at least on the part of lots of people I know). Somehow, reading a tweet that says “Ima riot if dona get Big Mac!! #McDs” just isn’t the same. Call me old fashioned, but I think a little friction between any thought in your head and throwing it out for people to read is not a bad thing.

If you read this and you’re a sometime blogger lured by the ease of tweets and status updates…don’t do it. Some of us still want to read something that won’t fit in a fortune cookie.

whoWe are here!!! We are here!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am exactly that.
    Well... and a little paranoid. All of a sudden my blog on Google didn't feel so smart anymore. That's what paranoia will do to ya.....

    but I miss my blog. I loved re-reading them at the end of the year and reflecting on what was important enough to write about. I may start again, just maybe...next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just get feeling so busy. I have never been one to blog on a set schedule, because I wanted to keep it fun and not make added pressure on myself. But I definitely need to set some new goals for the new year.
    I read blogs less than I used to, and that I guess is thanks to Pintrest. In the crafting world that has had a huge effect. I used to cruise blogs for an hour and see dozens of darling ideas, and now I can see that many on Pinterest in a minute or two. When I feel crunched for time I'll choose Pintrest over blogs. There a re blogs I really like and this reminds me that it's been a while since I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Pintrest has really affected blog readership, especially in the creative world. When I feel pressed for time (which is always) I may choose to quickly absorb dozens of pictures rather than read one or two blogs. It's a mistake though. I like the friendliness of my favorite blogs and this post reminds me that some haven't been visited by me in a while.

    ReplyDelete