Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What the heck was up with my ACT?

I was digging through some old transcripts and such.
Just a note that I keep carefully filed by stuffing them in the folder/frame thing that my Associates degree came in and stuck in a box in the garage with things like old plastic models I never built and my children’s blessing dresses. But I digress.
Anyway, so what do I find there but my ACT score report from when I was in high school.
Headline
For better or worse, when I took the ACT, I didn’t think it was a big deal. I don’t think my parents were even aware that I took it. I remember driving myself to the BYU campus (I’m pretty sure) on a Saturday morning (in October, apparently) and just taking the test cold with zero prep. I think I did pretty well, although I apparently had no more ability to rub two numbers together then than I do now. And what was up with that English score. I’ve always been a big fan of English and I use it almost daily. I’m actually planning a trip there. <sigh>

score

Now, again for better or worse, taking the ACT for my two oldest was a different matter. It involved lots of worrying, lots of practice tests, planning to take it once and then at least once more.
They’ve both done well and I’m very pleased with the effort they’ve put into it.

So the really interesting thing about this is not my scores or the fact my parents didn’t love me enough to make me take practice tests until I cried. (like I do)
No, the interesting thing was the ACT “Interest Inventory”.

interests

Since I now work in the software industry, which is usually considered pretty technical, I appear to be woefully misplaced in the job market.
I mean I do pretty well for myself now, but apparently I would be KILLER in the Arts or Social Services. I really should reconsider a career as a case worker with troubled youth. Maybe I could straighten them up by making them take ACT practice tests over and over again while I fire live ammunition over their heads – just so they are prepared for test day.

My lovely and gracious assistant pointed out that tests like this are always out of step with what is really happening in the world and that “technical” to the ACT fuddy-duddies of 1985 probably meant internal combustion engines. She’s great about making me feel better about myself. (But I still got a higher ACT than her. <nyah-nyah>.)

3 comments:

  1. (From the wife)...Well, I see from my ACT test, which has been carefully preserved in an acid free scrabook, that I scored the same as you in technical. That's funny, and must really show how meaningless it is. In everything else you were much higher than me. You are obviously very smart, which is why you have a job and slave away all day for my benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does my ACT have those cool little placement things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has a thing like it but it is different. We looked at your first test paper and it doesn't look like you filled that part out.
    And you can't see that online so I don't know what your second one says.

    ReplyDelete