Friday, February 5, 2010

A quick update

OK, I’m not saying you generally care what I’ve been up to, but I wanted to make a quick post on my weight loss efforts.

Back on May 28, 2009, I started a weight loss plan based pretty simply on eating less and moving more. No magic supplements or other miracle cures.
As I recall, it started with me deciding one day when I got to work to park further away and to use the stairs. From there I considered using Alli (unfortunately, I didn’t get scared off until AFTER I’d bought it for like 50 bucks!), but was put off by the potential side effects. But I did start tracking my food in a little booklet. At first, my target was 1500 calories, then 1200, and even 900-1000 at some points.
When I started, I weighed 245 lbs. My progress went basically like this:

Date Weight
7/21/09 217
8/31/09 210
9/30/09 200
10/30/09 190
1/8/10 180
2/3/10 175

You will notice that late last year, I did slow down a bit, but I held my ground through the holidays and other events that made it difficult to stay on track – plus it is cold and rainy in the winter and a little harder to get out and run and stay active.

So here I am at 175 pounds. This is my lowest weight since about 1992, which is pretty cool, although I don’t like it when people come up to me and say stuff about it. Yes, I know that’s weird.
OK, enough about that.

Even more exciting, I’m now a mere 5 weeks from completing my Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology. I’m currently taking 3 classes: Data Structures and Algorithms, IT Project Management, and a BS/IT capstone course. This is quite a load, but it is down from the 4 classes (!!!) I took last term.
I was just contemplating what I will do with all my extra time after I graduate today. First thought in my head was - “Hey! I can finally play some video games!!!” So I’m looking forward to that!

3 comments:

  1. I am very impressed, but even more impressed that you accomplished this along with the stress of school!

    Mike has jumped on the bandwagon and also started tracking his calories and adding some intense exercise- he has never ran before, and he is doing a couch to 5k program now. I can't wait to enter a race together!
    I think Valentine's you should enter you and Lynnae into a race and surprise her (it won;t be a surprise if she reads this, but it would still be cool!)

    PS- I LOVE it when people comment on my weight loss. I guess that is what you get for being a vain girl....I wish I didn't care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to run when people can see me, which is why I like trail running, but I'll happily enter a 5k with Lynnae when her foot recovers and she is back in the running game.
    Tracking the food intake is a huge positive step. It's amazing the calories that people eat without really thinking about it. I think that writing it down introduces a measure of accountability that makes you think twice and get into good habits.

    BTW, because we've had good weather lately, I was able to run the Twin Falls trail this morning and got my best time yet. 28:11. And I totally would have been under 28 minutes if I hadn't had to stop to tie my shoe on the way down the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so awesome.
    I look forward to our first 5k together even if you leave me in the dust. It's addictive.

    Another thing he does not like is having to buy new clothes- for me the best part of losing weight. Here is a man who has managed to lose 70 lbs and only purchase 3 new pairs of pants, plus the jacket and sweatpants he got for Christmas.
    But I am allowed to put the polo shirts in the dryer now, so that's a plus.
    You have done great and I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete