Thursday, January 1, 2009

Neat Stuff You Might Not Know About

After spending some quality time over the last couple months with various friends and family, I was surprised by some of the cool things people don't seem to know about:
1) Windows Home Server
This handy little box does a couple of things:
First and foremost, it automatically backs up all your PCs every day and restoring a whole PC or a single file that you overwrote or deleted is a total cinch. Way better than online backup services.
Second, it gives you a place to store all your digital photos, music, and documents and get at them from any PC in the house.
Third, you can access all this stuff remotely. Those backed up files? You can get at them from your work PC. Your family pictures? Get them from anywhere. It even gives you a nice friendly URL for the website that is running securely from your server.
I totally underestimated how useful and cool this would be until I had one of my own.
Sure you can buy one, like this HP unit, but you can also buy a copy of Home Server software and throw it on your old PC in the corner of the garage - which is what I did.
This all seems like a geeky thing, I know. But the truth is that it sets up in minutes, doesn't require you to buy pizza for that weird brother-in-law that runs Linux on his wristwatch and it will save you a lot of headaches - just from the automatic backups.

2) Xbox 360 Media Sharing
I'm really surprised at the number of smart people who own Xboxes and don't know about this.
If you turn on media sharing on your PC, you can then play your music and view your photos on your 360 right from your living room.
The experience is really good and polished. Set it up, you won't regret it.
Vista Instructions
XP Instructions
The only glitch I've seen is that you do need at least one account on your PC (guest account or similar) that doesn't have a password and can have read access to the music and photos.

3) Xbox Live Silver Memberships
With the New Xbox Experience that came out in November, there is suddenly a reason why everyone in your home wants an Xbox Live account - Avatars. And along with Avatars, friends and parties.
Of course, it is probably pretty unusual that more than one person in the house has an Xbox Live Gold account. I love Live, but at $50 a year, one will do for us thanks.
Enter the free Xbox Live Silver account.
Silver doesn't let you do online gaming, but you do get your avatar and friend list.

4) Brother HL-5250DN Laser Printer
We had a Panasonic laser printer - KXP-7100. Loved it. And we had years of trouble free use.
Most of all - it was auto-duplexing - meaning it printed on both sides of the paper.
Enter Vista.
When we moved to Vista, through no fault of Microsoft's, Panasonic chose not to put out a Vista driver for the 7100. They did for it's close business printer relative, but not the home version.
So we picked up the Brother for about $250 on sale. It is way fast. Has built in networking support (although we don't use that). And --- YES! --- duplexing. You use half the paper and it is just really cool besides.

5) Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for Nintendo DS
A couple years ago, I'd been considering getting a Playstation Portable. Then my kids got me a Nintendo DS Lite for Father's Day.
Outwardly gracious, I was secretly thinking "Man, I hope this isn't lame. Maybe I shouldn't open it so I can return it."
Those doubts quickly went by the wayside and I've invested many, many hours playing the DS on business trips, on the couch, and just about everywhere. Turns out the kids really do know what is fun!
My officemate turned me on to an earlier version of Advance Wars on the DS and I got it for Christmas and I've spent MANY hours on it already. I just can't put it down.
The writing for the story parts of the game is pretty lame, but forget all that.
It is a war game for the Nintendo DS!!! How cool is that?
I remember playing the old Strategic Simulations war games and really miss that genre. I never would have expected to see it on the DS.

6) Portrait Innovations Photography
OK guys...sooner or later, your wife is going to start bugging you that it has been too long since you got a family picture taken. Not the one you took with the self timer for the Christmas newsletter, a REAL family picture.
My sister-in-law told us about Portrait Innovations. She mentioned the quality of their work, that you get your pictures right away rather than waiting, and that they didn't give you the hard sell on buying more pictures than you could ever need. Somewhere in there, she mentioned it was cheap...and my ears are naturally tuned to that word.
So, since my oldest child was home from college for the holidays and she didn't have a driver's license when we got our last picture done, it was time to check it out.
They took a ton of great pictures for us to choose from and the photos were of the quality you'd expect from any portrait studio - they just did managed to print them in 15 minutes rather than 2 weeks.
We got their promo package for $10 (plus another sheet with a different pose we liked).

9 comments:

  1. Hey Jon, Great Blog. Very smart! I have to say, I was so excited when I set up the Xbox 360 Media Sharing. I thought it was so great I couled now access all my Zune music through my stereo vs. using a clunky input cable that ran across the middle of my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I have a secretary and IT guys at work, so why should I know this stuff? Well, I still have things to do at home involving a computer. Thanks for the tips!!! Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used the Xbox to play all our Christmas music this year...no more box of holiday CDs to deal with.
    It would be nice if they had some more holiday themed visualizations, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, most of this somputer stuff = WAY over my head. We don't even have a 360. (Although Mike looked at one for Christmas, but his new cool SONY HD hardrive cam corder won out). I can't figure out how to import files on Vista under a new file name, which causes me grief (I can only rename one photo at a time. UGH).

    HOWEVER- Portrait Innovations is awesome. DO they have them in the NW? I used them here, and have sent many a person there in referral. I was so impressed- I don't want to get new picutres because I love the old ones so much. DOesn't make sense, I know.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool blog. I'll check out media sharing and see if it works with ipods. Yesterday I was sad I didn't have some sort of music port for my ipod to plug into. BTW your fam pics look totally great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Shannon: Media sharing is really about sharing music, video and pictures from other computers on your network. That said, you can plug in your camera or memory card and view the pictures or play music directly from them. You can plug in your iPod or other MP3 player, but you can only play music without DRM - which means most music you buy on iTunes or Napster won't work. Same as with plugging in your iPod for Lips on the 360. But you can certainly play all the music on your iPod that you've ripped from your own CDs.

    @ramsam: Yup, we have Portrait Innovations in the NW - which is how we managed to go there and get our picture taken. :-) Not sure about the importing pictures thing. I just stick my memory card in the slot on my PC and drag the files over with no renaming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JOn- guess what- our card slot doesn't read the card- I can't figure out why- it worked once, but it feels like it isn't going in all they way, so I am nervous a small baby nephew stuck something in there (but how could I relly know). We just used to name our floders (Japan, Christmas, etc...) and then put it in a floder of the year- so easy to find stuff- but with this it just imports automatically (well, it used to, now our 'import wizard' hads stopped working and all we get is a box telling us it cannot be fixed). Mike is frustrated- I am trying to work with it, becuase other than that I was really loving Vista. I need a class on it, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the photo import wizard is part of Windows Live Photo Gallery.
    Open this program (on my PC it is Start -> All Programs -> Windows Live -> Windows Live Photo Gallery), then click on the little down arrow next to the word "File" in the upper left-ish area of the screen. Then click Options. Then click on the Import tab. There are some settings there. I don't use this thing so I don't know much about it.
    You could certainly uninstall Windows Live Photo Gallery and I don't think you'd be missing anything.

    Weird about your card slot. Mine has a little resistance and then clicks in. I'm using SD.
    Are you sure you have it right way up? Try flipping it over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ramsam: Open control panel. In the search box in the upper right, type "Autoplay". Click on the "Change default settings".
    Under "Pictures", change the setting to "Ask me every time". (Or something you like other than "Import pictures using Windows")

    ReplyDelete