Thursday, July 2, 2009

My first finalized patent - #7548895

inventor Well, I guess I’m officially an inventor now. :-)

I’ve got several applications pending, all related to my work at Microsoft, but this is the first patent that has made it all the way through the process.

It’s called Communication Prompted User Assistance and you can take a look at the patent documents. If you want to see the full patent with diagrams, you need to create a free account, but here’s the cover page:

patent

So the idea here is that when you are talking on the phone and you say something like, “Yeah, I need to schedule a follow-up meeting with Bob on Thursday and send out the project plan.”
This mechanism would be “listening in” on your conversation and then when you hang up, your phone would ring again and when you answer, it would be your phone asking, “Would you like to schedule a meeting with Bob?”
When you say, “Yes”, the voice would respond, “You don’t have any time on Thursday, but you are free 1-2pm on Friday. Would you like to schedule a meeting with Bob at 1pm on Friday?”
After that, it asks you if you’d like to add a reminder to send out the project plan. And so on…

5 comments:

  1. And the flow chart is only slightly more complicated than what it takes to get me making dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that it will make you so rich that you will be able to hide all your money from BO and the upcoming money grab.

    Seriously, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah. My work is already spoken for by my employer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like phone solicitating yourself. It's also like my wife...

    ReplyDelete