Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My letter to Dave Reichert

After hearing that my Congressman, Dave Reichert, was one of the eight Republicans voting for Cap & Trade that pushed it over the top, I had to drop him a line.
I urge you to do the same if you live in the Washington 8th district. You can reach him through his House website.
Dear Mr Reichert,
I am writing you a brief note to tell you that I am
appalled that you supported the Cap & Trade bill in the house. As you know, it only passed due to a small set of Republicans who sided with extremists like Nancy Pelosi.

Cap & Trade is a terrible concept which will have very damaging impacts on our economic future. And, of course, you voted on it without having even read the bill - as it was not available to be read before the vote.
Sadly, I don't even think you are aware of what you've actually done here.
I've supported you for many years, but that ends here. You will not get another vote from me and I will work hard to ensure your defeat when you are again up for election. If we're going to have someone representing our district siding with the Democrats to destroy my children's future, then it may as well be a Democrat rather than a Republican. I've never donated to a campaign for a
Democrat before, but I will be doing so now.

Start packing, Dave. It's time for you to come back
home.


You may ask yourself, what's so bad about Cap & Trade? The Heritage Foundation had a great piece on that recently. Take a look.
But what is worse is that the bill was so rushed that the full bill was not even available to be read before the vote - which is starting to sound familiar. And even if it had been, it is doubtful that our representatives would choose to read it.
So they missed, for example, that the bill contains provisions taking California's building codes (because California is a model of growth and success) national - requiring an immediate 30% increase in energy efficiency of new homes and another 50% a few years later. And all this was specifically adopted without looking at how it could be done, how much it would add to the price of a home, or even if it is possible at all.

Ayn Rand's quote leaps to mind here: "It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there's someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."

7 comments:

  1. Nice post.
    After I heard about his vote I wrote him too. It's, I think, only the second e-mail I've written to a congressperson...the first being the one I sent to him before the vote, urging him to vote no.
    Love that Ayn Rand quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Let's get these Rhino's out. We don't need them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job. hopefully you won't have to support a democrat, we have too many from this state as it is. hopefully you can defeat him in the primary. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dunno, as much as I hate, loathe and despise ol' Reichert's Cap&Trade vote, I shudder to think that the only alternative last election for the 8th was that brain-dead ijit, Darcy Burner. It stinks, doesn't it, that our choice is not between Dave Reichert and someone awesome, but Dave Reichert and someone far, far worse? I will happily vote against him in the primaries, but, should he win the nomination, I will swallow the vomit in my mouth and vote for him again against any other Democrat they run in '10 -- unless they dig under a rock and find a Grover Cleveland clone -- that kind of Dem . . . yeah.

    Let's see how he votes on the wretched health care legislation coming down the pike . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Justine: I think you are woefully incorrect about this.
    As long as you reward this behavior, you will continue to get more of it.
    Don't fall for choosing a bad Republican over a worse Democrat.A Republican who votes with the Democrats is still selling you into bondage.
    Let's face it - any one of the stimulus, Cap & Trade, or national health care would destroy the country.
    The deed is done. Unless someone undoes it through legislation, your children and your children's children are already doomed.

    You've got to think for yourself a little bit here and don't just follow the elephants to the slaughter.
    What have Republicans done in the last 10 years that advanced your liberty? Think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe a self-respecting republican would vote for Cap & Tax. They must have something on him. It is a joke around India and China. I noticed today that India told Hillary no thanks. When are we going to wake up? I am ready for the Obama-Reid-Pelosi nightmare to end.

    ReplyDelete